[pct-l] Desert-San Francesquito Rd to Hwy 58

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Mar 15 09:33:14 CDT 2011

On Mar 15, 2011, at 5:28 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Is anyone hiking the desert from San Francisquito Rd. to Hwy 58
> this weekend or the next?  I would like to hike that section now so
> that I could take a break on my thru hike and come home and work
> just to keep my job intact and then get back out there and contunue
> to Canada...job or not.

I am not, but last weekend I did a hike to Pine Mountain Lodge, which
is less than 100 miles west from where you'll be about a day and a
half or so from San Francisquito Rd. It was really beautiful up
there, with a little bit of snow that'll probably mostly be gone by
next weekend. Pine Mountain Lodge was on a north-facing and sheltered
area. There's not going to be any snow where you are unless any new
snow falls, but I was only mentioning the snow because it was so
pretty. I hiked through it wearing Crocs. Ornamental snow.

I'll bet the desert floor will be in bloom. It ought to be a
fantastic trip. I would love to hike that section this time of year
some day. I have to lead a Sierra Club hike this weekend.