[pct-l] Traction on snow, gaitors, pants, and the reality of the whole mess

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Mar 12 08:31:55 CST 2011

Granted I went through in 2008, a normal snow year, but this does not
mirror my experience at all.

Mornings were lucky to have that nice consolidated snow that your
feet stick to. But within a few hours or less, it was soft and a
little bit slippery.

Most of the time there were deep sun cups. You step on the ridges,
not in the cups. The only "postholing" on sun cups would be to step
in the cups.

Approaching a pass, the snow became more expansive, hiding the trail.
It was wet but firm. I never postholed unless I stepped too close to
a big boulder.

Going over a pass too early meant the snow could be icy on the north
side. At that time, the traction aids would be useful. Crampons are
really hard to walk on over rocks and the snow was usually patchy,
forcing you to walk a long way over rocks, then a ways over snow,
then back to rocks. If your crampons weren't easy to put on and take
off, it was likely you wouldn't bother with them. This could be a
mistake.

Most of the time, traction aids were not needed unless you summitted
a pass too early and someone had glissaded on their bottoms all over
the north side leaving only ice chutes to walk on. Without crampons,
you'll either slide in the ice chutes, which hurt and aren't fun, or
you'll have to sit up there for a few hours and wait.

Going over a pass later in the afternoon meant my feet got a lot
wetter in the wet snow. I still rarely postholed. Maybe it was
because I am short, small and relatively light (compared to a larger
man with a larger pack.)

So, the conditions vary a lot depending on what the snow is like. I'd
say if you get to Forester and it's just a bunch of sun cups to the
base, a bit of clear trail, and a small, no-big-deal snowfield at the
top that leaves you wondering what all the fuss is about, then you
probably won't have the kind of experience Ned described.