[pct-l] Trail Snacks with Horsepower

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Mar 9 14:13:19 CST 2011

Nut Boy Reinhold writes: So you see Sugar Moma...I mean patti....if you incorporate Macadamia nuts in your menu you would lighten your pack weight and munch and crunch as many of them delicious Macadamia babies as you like without affecting your cholesterol and you would be so full of  ''HORSEPOWER''  that you would leave all the other hikers in the dust.....it worked for me on my JMT speed hikes.
Switchback replies: Make your own GORP.  You can make a super delicious recipe.  I like the Trader's Joe individual bags of nuts for the trail.  Also, corn nuts are tasty too out there banging along the trail.  M&M's are good addition for a nice change in nut mixture.

The key in trail food is to take things you will ACTUALLY eat.  Variety is super important.  Nutrition then is next in line of importance.  Some nice ProBars and Lara Bars are good too for that extra power and balance.  I like them for breakfast on the early morning trail with a nice protein shake.  To get some good miles in between 5 AM to 8 AM is a great way to start off the day.  By the time it starts to warm up, you have 6-8 miles done.  It does not get any better than that out there.  What a way to start the day.