[pct-l] Bearikade: Weekender or Expedition

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 07:49:45 CST 2011

Molly,

I have a Weekender which I carried through the Sierra last year.  It was more than adequate, for several reasons.  First, it's only full-to-overflowing for the first day or so.  After that, the food you have eaten will be gone and the available volume increased.  Remember, you can carry excess food in your pack while hiking - it's overnight at camp that your food and smellables have to be packed in the bear can.

Second, we decided en route to go out to resupply at Kearsarge Pass (started at Cottonwood Pass), rather than try to go straight through to VVR.  We just didn't need 10 days of food for Kearsarge to VVR.

My pack is an Osprey Aether 70, and the Weekender fit well inside it.  At least one of our group had a ULA pack that was not big enough for her can; she lashed it on top.  And we never saw a ranger on the trail through the Sierra.

One other note about either canister.  I wondered if it could safely be used as a stand for an alcohol stove.  I contacted Wild Ideas (mfg) with this question.  They answered that the top (an aluminum alloy) and the sides (space-age resin or whatever) would not be affected by the heat of a stove.  However, the O-ring sealer was heat-sensitive and might fail if subjected to sustained high heat.  I never tried it as a stove stand, so I can't say how the can would fare with the heat.  Maybe others have some experience on this subject.

Good luck,

Mango