[pct-l] Bearikade: Weekender or Expedition

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 02:47:21 CST 2011

Hello Molly,

I will attempt to answer this from my own perspective.

Perhaps one of the most important things to consider is that in the
area where you are required to carry it is the one area along the PCT
where you will likely encounter Rangers who do nothing more than sit
on the PCT trail looking to hand out tickets to folks who cannot prove
that every single thing that is suppose to be in a bear canister can
actually fit in it... food, snacks, even your toothpaste. If you
cannot prove that everything you've got can fit in the canister, you
are going to end your day with a not-so-happy ticket in your pack.
Please note I am not being critical of the Rangers, they are there for
a reason, they are doing their job, they are protecting the bears, and
trying to teach all of us a lesson - to obey the laws of the land.

So you have one item that weighs weighs 31 ounces and another one that
weighs 36 ounces. For me, that is the real matter to consider.

As somebody who has a typical base back weight of under five pounds,
in that area I will be upgrading my gear to be in the 6 pound ranges,
not counting the bear canister. So for me, I have to add an entire
1/3rd of my base pack weight just for a bear canister!

Ask me which I would suggest going with... well, 5 additional ounces
is the only obvious answer as far as I am concerned.

5 additional ounces to increase your cubic inch volume by 1/3rd.
5 additional ounces to get a bit better food for when you need it most.
5 additional ounces to be to say to that nice Ranger, "Yep, my
toothpaste fits in there too!"

Oh, and 5 additional ounces for a lovely chair that will get you 4
inches higher off the ground at the camp sites :)

As for the "how well does it fit in/on/under your pack" question.

Well in all honesty, at least for me, a bear canister is never a
joyful thing to have attached too, or inside, of my pack. Just have to
suck it up and deal with the extra weight and the extra discomfort for
those 9-15 days. Not to mention an additional 60% more weight in food
than you are using to carrying. But, by the time you get there, you
should be in shape!!

I have both sizes and unless you are a non-cook hiker (I usually am)
the Expedition is your only viable option for the Sierras I feel.

Sorry for the rambling, just wanted to share my thoughts on the whole matter.

John