[pct-l] Thru-Hiking On A Budget

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 21:51:55 CST 2011

Well, guess I pretty much blow this whole $500 trip out of the
water... only going the wrong way lol.

$2750 for all of my gear (includes desert, sierra, and pnw setups) -
not counting replacement items along the way.

Base pack weight of 3.9 pounds for pre KM
Base pack weight of 6.2 pounds for KM-OR (because I am a cold woosie)
Base pack weight of 4.6 pounds for OR-end

At least, that is the plan. the PNW might catch me by surprise and I
can either add cold weather cloths or go tarp-only and ditch cloths if
the weather is kind to us.
Link for my gear is at: http://www.redwoodoutdoors.com/

I am planning $2500 for food (trail+town) for 150 days. [suspect this
to be way high but with all the prices going up on just about
everything here recently, trying to plan for inflation]

I am hoping to have bounce box budget of no more than $250 (totally
unknown factor for me at this point... anybody out there who has gone
SUL have knowledge of this?)

Plan to carry around $200 in cash for towns/angels/rides/emergency/etc.

Transportation to/from will be covered by family (some love in
Victorville and some live in Aberdeen, works out for me :-D)

Clearly those who do the PCT for under $500 for gear, food,
resupplies, transportation, have one-up on me. Huge props to anybody
out there that can accomplish the PCT at $500 total bucks or less - I
mean that!!

John