[pct-l] Hammock Tents in State Parks

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Mar 5 01:34:48 CST 2011

The following is most of an email sent earlier today to Greg Hummel & Kevin Cook
while the pct-l was 'down' (online at least):

Hi Greg / Strider (AFAIK the 'original' PCT "Strider"! - that's for Kevin's sake!),

Unfortunately I don't have enough vacation time nor $$$ for two trips to CA from PA
this year (will be spending three weeks in far NorCal...near/on the PCT), but I will
certainly take some photos and write a cover letter and thorough explanation of
hanging a hammock using tree huggers (straps) so there's no damage to the bark (and
thus no damage to the cambium layer either!! [edit: actually 3 layers - phloem,
cambium, & 'active' xylem]).
Just give me 3 weeks or so for the weather to turn for the better...

I'm sure Kevin is capable of giving an excellent on-site demonstration at Lake Morena.
I will probably contact Switchback, too - didn't he have a hammock last year, but
utilized a stand for set-up?  Gotta check that out...  Uh - is the Trail Pirate 'okay'
per the LM folks?!?
And I believe "shybird" (another thru planning on using a hammock) also plans on
attending ADZ - Kevin would probably know for sure...

If Lake Morena would allow hammocks it would certainly be expected of them to still
have regs & 'rules' regarding hanging - such as tree huggers or straps would have to be
used at all times and tarp ridgelines would also have to use tree huggers or be attached
directly to the hammock tree huggers or strap suspension - plus not blocking walkways or
paths, the 'usual', etc. ...

You should give 'hanging' a try, too, Strider - though you would need a LONG model!!  ;o)
A big "THANKS!" for even mentioning hammocks to the the LM authorities - it's a 'start'
at least - but if it becomes a reality it would be great for both 'hanging' PCTers and
ADZ, too!

HYOH - also, FYI, stands for "Hang Your Own Hammock"!!  ;-)   Take care!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA) Payne