[pct-l] Food question from Mid life Crisis

Eric johner27 at evergreen.edu
Fri Mar 4 20:31:46 CST 2011

Yoshi,

I must respectfully disagree with your evaluation of macronutrients for
hiking.  Our body, if starved of carbohydrates, will drop efficiently into
ketosis, a burning of fat. See:
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/faq/f/whatisketosis.htm

Ketosis is an evolutionary adaptation by our bodies for times when we need
to survive on our energy stores.  I would place a bet that the reason that
the American hikers you encountered were fatigued was due to the fact that
(most, not all) carbohydrates are inherently inefficient - they cause an
insulin spike then a crash due to depleted glycogen.

What you may have been thinking of is ketoacidosis, a dangerous condition
that can develop if you have Type 1 diabetes.

David:

That being said, I would definitely take more calories, and use more fat!
 Something like 40-50 Carb 30 fat 20 protein.  Also recommended by
nutritionist and hiker Brenda Baaten:

http://thru-hiker.com/articles/PackLightEatRight/fat.htm

<http://thru-hiker.com/articles/PackLightEatRight/fat.htm>Nuts, shelf stable
bacon, avocados, and powdered butter and milk are some of the high-quality
fats that you could get a lot of calories/ounce for.  Hope this helps!

Regards,
Eric
www.primalpct.com

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Yoshihiro Murakami <completewalker at gmail.com