[pct-l] Food question from Mid life Crisis

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 20:16:09 CST 2011

Dear David

I have only experienced JMT twice, but I think many American hiker had
insufficient foods and very fatigued.

> A few questions..
>
> 1- Am I safe planning to consume body fat or will I be starving every day?

You are not safe. Our energy system cannot use fat efficiently. If the
stock of Carbohydrate became zero, our body  make carbohydrate from
the muscles and, and produce more Nitrogenous substance. Then the load
of the kidney grows more. You will feel more fatigue.

I had posted before on the nutrition problem. If " 7 weeks to the
perfect ride" (by L Armstrong & C. Carmichael) is right,

The optimal weight ratio is :
  carbohydrate : protein : fat =   60-70:10-15: 9-11

We must consider both weight ratios and total calories for healthy
hiking.  And if we hike for 8 hours, we need at least 1 Kg ( 2 pound
more )  food.( I had calculated, and confirmed the 2 pound rule is
right )

https://sites.google.com/site/completewalker/backpacking-memo

--
Sincerely