[pct-l] Wide shoes?

Ben Crowell pctcrowell11 at lightandmatter.com
Wed Mar 2 00:46:42 CST 2011

After democracy comes to North Africa, maybe we can get justice for
geeks, gays, southpaws, atheists, and people with wide feet.

I generally hike in New Balance running shoes. The 883 is available
in wide sizes.

I've been experimenting with Chacos as an alternative to NB running
shoes. Once in a while I get annoying pebbles underfoot, but I love
the fact that there is simply no way to get blisters on my pinkie toes.

>I was looking at the NB MW955 walking shoe. But now im thinking boots since
>im pretty sure most of my hike will be in snow.
My experience with snow travel is limited, but in my experience there
is not much distinction between a running shoe and a hiking boot. The
issue is more about whether you have an ice ax and whether you're using
crampons -- and what kind of crampons. If conditions are too icy early
in the morning, you can always consider waiting until later in the
day to cross a high pass.

-Ben