[pct-l] First hikers through Lassen?

Meridith Rosendahl meridith.rosendahl at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 13:54:45 CDT 2011

I picked up Spoon Man and Hike-a-Holic last night, and this morning picked
up Tweener in Chester.  They had all flipped from Kennedy Meadows to
Dunsmuir and are headed south back to KM.  They had some snow issues south
of Dunsmuir before reaching Burney Falls, but did ok.  Spoon Man and
Hike-A-Holic were the first thrus at Drakesbad, according to what Billie
told them, and they spent a great day soaking in the pool and eating a lot.
They had issues getting through the park, but most difficult - if I remember
correctly - was north of Drakesbad and leaving Drakesbad only the climb out
was in deep snow.  They were navigating with maps and compass since they
couldn't see the trail most of the time.

This morning I took them all out to the trail.  Spoon Man and Hike-A-Holic
decided to go south over Butt Mountain and on to Belden.  They wore rain
gear since it's pouring outside today.  Tweener decided he needed a zero in
town, so I took him back to Chester and will take him to the trail tomorrow
when the weather is supposed to be better.

Spoon Man is in his 30s, Hike-A-Holic near 50, and Tweener is 70.  They all
made it through.  from Dunsmuir to Highway 36 .

They were really worried about a group who recently left VVR headed for
Bishop with only 7 days of food.  Anyone know of them?

Piper's Mom