[pct-l] Help for Post Hike Depression: PHD

Karen Keller karen.kellerford at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 09:36:26 CDT 2011

Dear Pct friends,
You guys are the BEST! Thank you all for your encouraging  words of wisdom.
I realize now how incredibly lucky I am. Even though my hike didn't turn out
exactly as planned, I have been given more hours on the trail this season
than many of my friends at home have in a lifetime. I have seen sunrises and
sunsets, breathtaking vistas and stunning flowers of all varieties in bloom.
Although most days were prefect walking weather, I also got to experience
the heat, cold, wind, rain and even a little snow. I have been blessed with
all of the incredible beauty and diversity of the PCT's Southern California
landscape right in my own back yard. Best of all, I have been enriched by
the fellowship of the like-minded souls who passed me on the trail daily and
the unexpected kindness of trail angels and strangers along the way. How can
I remain depressed? Is anyone richer than I? Thank you for helping me to see
past my disappointment. Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go and put on
my hiking shoes (well said, Yoshihiro) and grab my water bottle. The
beautiful world outside waits!  If that were not good enough, here at home,
I can even bring my dog along!
With love and gratitude,
Special K