[pct-l] Help for Post hike depression:PHD

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 22:48:22 CDT 2011

I agree with the exercise recommendation as it is often as effective as
antidepressants, and for the cognitive part, plan your next hike.  You don't
have to be fast out there, you just have to be out there.

I bumped into Helen about a hundred miles south of Mt. Hood last year.
 Korean American lady who I thought was about 65 years old or so.  She
wasn't very fast, but was lovely to talk to, so we hiked together for
awhile.  She  had completed the CA section of the trail several years ago
and was now completing OR.  I asked her what got her back on trail and she
said, "Oh well, most of my friends have passed on and it was just time I
completed the trail."  At that I asked if she minded telling me how old she
was and she said, "That's fine, I'm 80 years old."  I then told her she was
my hero.  She was beautiful, she was dealing with loss, she was slow, but
she was back on trail, doing what she loved.  No reason not to section hike
this beautiful trail of ours over time, and at your pace, and let yourself
feel good about what you did this year, and how good it's going to feel next
time you step onto it again.  You've got a friend for life, and it isn't
going anywhere without you.

Shroomer