[pct-l] Sierra update

Meredith Dicey Ishida merishida at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 15:20:06 CDT 2011

Another update from the front lines:

Our group of four (Liz, Meowmeow, Funyan and me, Skinny D) left Kennedy Meadows June 11 and exited through Kearsearge Pass June 18.  There were probably a dozen others leaving KM the same day.  This will have to be a short update, so I'll just say this:  so far, it's hard but doable.  Lots of snow, kind of touchy creek crossings, and incredible beauty.  Here is my advice:
1.  Bring lots of food.  I ran out and fortunately have good friends who kept me from starving, but I was still hungry and tired.
2.  Start as early in the morning as possible. You will walk right over the snow.  By 10 or 11 am, it gets soft, and our hiking speed went to around 1- 1.5 mph.
3.  Stay in a group.  Have good navigation skills.  GPS is helpful.
4.  If you try to summit Whitney, be careful and don't be afraid to turn around if/when you feel unsafe.  At least one person got injured and almost died on the way down (self-arrested just 20 yds before the rocks).  Our group turned around when it got sketchy.  Some have made it up.
5.  Ice axe and snow spikes or crampons are necessary.
6.  Lower your miles.  We'd been doing 20-25 fairly easily in the desert.  Once we hit snow, 9-12 miles per day was plenty.  I was exhausted by the end of each day and went to sleep at 7:30 or 8.  Some people have been doing more.  But it was good to hit camp mid-afternoon and chill out in all that beauty, rest up for tomorrow.

I'm in Lone Pine now and have been talking to other hikers.  many have had similar experiences.  Some are jumping ahead - hope they give updates as to whether that is a good choice or not.

Skinny D