[pct-l] Post--hiking the PCT in 3 Years

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Wed Jun 15 13:01:03 CDT 2011

Hi:

I finished the last 1700 miles of the PCT after I retired. I am 59. I
was glad in the last years of working that I kept up my regular fitness
training--aerobic, weights and stretching. I also trained with a full
pack on the treadmill during the winter. I also looked into buying more
lightweight gear while I had a bigger income while working. I got my
base weight down to 12 pounds and could go lighter, but each ounce costs
a bundle and is prohibitive on a fixed retirement income. Check out the
gear lists of thru hikers on postholer.com and trailjournals.com. Also
planyourhike.com and backpacker45 as well as Erik the Black's site. I
will email you a planning website list that I compiled.

It is important to get your weight down to minimize wear and tear on
older joints and feet. I lost weight with Weight Watchers. I use a
padded insole called "yoursoles". I have to have padding on my feet
because the natural fat pads have thinned out. Start working on
resolving foot problems now and you will be ready in three years. I had
a bunion which I helped correct with custom orthotics and starting to
wear larger size shoes.

Stretching is more important to me now to save my ligaments while
hiking--I do Yoga a couple times a week. I used to never do stretching
when I was younger--I just jumped into every activity. If you have been
sitting like I was in an office before I retired, stretching was
important to stave off back pain. I had lower chronic back pain when I
worked that has disappeared now because I am more active.

Of course the best preparation is to do long distance hikes with a full
pack now so you know how your body reacts--if you can do some week long
hikes with a full pack, that would be good.

--Fireweed