[pct-l] Post

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 14 19:50:50 CDT 2011

Joe wrote:

My wife and I plan to hike entire pct in 3 years after I retire. any advise?

Best advice anyone could give you is to start practicing now.  Build out
your lightweight kit, go on a weekend hike, come home, keep what worked and
ditch what didn't, rinse and repeat.  Try to do one or two longer hikes
(like 5+ days) per year.  Try walking 20 miles in one day and see how your
body reacts.  Walk all the time.  Walk to the store.  Walk to work (or to
the nearest bus stop, or whatever makes sense for you).

A thru-hike can be done "cold" without any practice or training but in my
observation the people who enjoy it the most and have the best chance of
finishing are the ones who approach it as a lifestyle choice.  Choose that
lifestyle now and your thru-hike will go as smoothly as it can possibly go,
plus you get to enjoy all the side benefits of an active lifestyle!

Eric