[pct-l] Tom Winnett

David Hough on pct-l pcnst2001 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 7 00:51:22 CDT 2011

Diane was quoted as saying:

> Nobody carries the wilderness press guide books anymore
so they have no awareness of anything special about the places they
travel through.

I'd like to point out that Tom Winnett is remembered in the current PCT
Communicator.    He didn't invent the idea of a trail guide but he did as
much as anybody to make trail guides into something like an ongoing
business.      I never met him but I bought one of each edition of each Wilderness Press book from the store across the street from the
ASUC Student Union in Berkeley in the early 1970's.    I think the store
was Lucas Books, and the Wilderness Press offices were right next door.

When I first heard of the PCT there weren't any guide books.    Now you have a bit of a choice.     Maybe someday there will be as many PCT
guides as there are for El Camino de Santiago, and in as many languages.
But Wilderness Press was first.