[pct-l] Advice to a beginner about crossing Sierras

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Jun 6 12:23:48 CDT 2011

Up to now, Mountain Education has not required any payment for instruction
given. We have asked for a donation if our students felt they received
something of value. That would be for the last 500 students or so.

We are becoming a legal, Public-Benefit, non-profit organization, now, so we
will have to change our ways of doing some things like off-setting costs for
expenses incurred. What people don't realize is that we provide wilderness
skills training out of the passion of our hearts. We have no other income,
retirement, pension, savings, assets, or any other way to off-set the costs
to us to encourage backcountry hikers to be realistic about their endeavors
(especially in their planning), get prepared for what they'll be walking
into, and maybe learn some skills that will keep them safe.

Regarding departing "early" into the Sierra: Back in 1974, I entered the
Sierra April 14th because that is how my schedule worked out. Few people had
done the trail back then and published their thoughts about their choices,
so those of us who did it then didn't have anything to compare our plans to.
I learned how to walk on snow and deal with it beauty and hardships and
considered it normal. Now, I instruct from that experience so that all of
you can make your own decisions as to how to prepare, plan for, and happily
enjoy your personal hike-of-a-lifetime. It is not impossible to enter the
Sierra in April, May, or June, just be aware of what's there and have the
skills and experience to evaluate the conditions and make the right choices
once you're there. In so doing, hikers can add more trail time into their
schedules so they can hike slower, if they so choose.

Beginners are never encouraged to take on risks they know nothing of nor for
which they are ill-prepared.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education