[pct-l] Dogs on PCT

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Jun 5 15:15:38 CDT 2011

Good afternoon, Andrew,
Most of Oregon's PCT is dog-foot-friendly, with nice duff-covered tread, and
without many of the thorns and stickers found in So. Cal.  An exception is
the volcanic cinder covered trail in C. Oregon around Three Sisters, and in
particular, around McKenzie Pass.  That stuff is jagged, abrasive, and
really brutal on a dog’s feet in the hot sun.

Day-hikers in particular love to take their dogs with them on the trail.  On
the Eagle Creek Trail bypass near Cascade Locks, on a nice evening or
weekend day there are literally as many dogs as there are hikers.

This year there will be lots of snowpack well into the summer, and dogs
post-hole too.

Keep in mind that in Crater Lake NP dogs and other pets are only allowed in
developed areas; not on park trails or in the backcountry.  That means Aunt
Tilly and Uncle Fred can walk around the rim viewing areas with their
obnoxious, yappy, little ankle-biter mutt while the courteous, trail-wise
hiker-dog can’t even set foot on the trails anywhere.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09