[pct-l] Sleeping bag exchange

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Thu Jul 28 13:48:09 CDT 2011

Hello Mike,

I did not see your message come across the list otherwise I would have
responded sooner.

About a year ago as I was working my way down from being a UL to a SUL
hiker I began to consider each and every little thing I could do to
save myself as much weight as possible along the PCT. I am not just
talking about whether I should use a solo tent or a two person tent
for extra room, but rather the gram-weenie kind of things such as
"should I take a 3l platty or can I get away with a 2l platty and two
plastic bottles" - and than to take that even further, "in what areas
can I ditch the platty and just carry two water bottles". All in a
quest to save, what, maybe 4 ounces.

Anyway, one of the ideas that hit me was something along the lines of:

"ok, we know the big-three are the big-three, but what can I do to
reduce the big three down into, perhaps, the "lighter three", if
you'll allow me such."

At that time I had a tent that was 34 ounces. Now I have a tent that
is 10.8 ounces.
At that time I had a backpack that was 36 ounces. Now I have a
backpack that is 6.1 ounces.
At that time I had a sleeping bag that was 39 ounces. Now I have one
sleeping bag that is 24 ounces (30f), another that is 31 ounces (20f),
plus a summer quilt that is 9.87 ounces (40f bag).  [yes, I try very
hard not to think about how much money I have tied up in sleeping
gear]

So anyway, the whole concept of "bag bouncing" was just an idea to try
to reduce some pack weight. The rational was "If I can save an extra 7
ounces, that is another 1/4 of a liter of water that I could carry for
the hotter sections (which is where I might need it the most) and
still maintain a near constant weight."

I think, to be realistic, the whole idea is (and maybe should be
nothing more than) a concept idea on a mental level. Just another step
in helping a person consider whether they gear that they have is the
right gear for them on whatever the given trail is that they are
planning to hike.

I personally think it is really risky to be bouncing ahead what is
potentially your most important piece of non perishable gear in your
backpack. As much as I would like to, and am planning to, hike the PCT
with a 5 pound base pack weight, at the end of the day (and the start
of the trail) I will not put my hike at risk over 7 ounces for a
warmer sleeping bag.

I hope this gives some insight into where I was coming from in regards
to this matter.

John B. Abela
RedwoodOutdoors.Com