[pct-l] Sleeping bag exchange

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Jul 28 12:42:12 CDT 2011

Good morning, Mike,

Normally, I – and most hikers – use the same bag throughout the entire
3-state hike -- many because that's the only bag they own.  Trading sleeping
bags is probably not a primary strategy, but it’s something to keep in mind
if shipments are being made anyway, and/or if opportunity presents.  For
example, in ’07 I had to get off the trail for a while at Reno to address a
medical problem -- gross hematuria.  While at home I decided to use a
lighter bag from Reno up to Timberline Lodge before changing back to the
heaver bag.  That was an easy choice because I live 20 miles from Timberline
where I would visit home and take a zero-day anyway.

Gear of similar weight is regularly swapped on and off the trail -- things
like bear ‘cans, crampons, ice axes, etc. -- so if a shipment(s) is being
made anyway a bag could be included at little additional cost.  Besides, ask
an ultra-lite hiker if they would spend $5 -- i.e. 2 beers worth -- of
postage to avoid having to carry an additional pound for about 700 miles and
you may find more bag-swappers.

Steel-Eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09