[pct-l] Music

Nathan Miller erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 25 22:13:57 CDT 2011

>I do think safety should be part of the consideration of when to listen to music, sing or listen to the sounds around you.

I concur.  Had I had music pumping through some headphones, I might not have heard a rattler telling me to go away and leave it alone north of Upper Devils Pk. in the Siskiyous.  I also might not have heard cow bells.  Or birds.  Or vehicles on my six while road-walking.  Or the wind coming through the trees.  Insulating oneself from one's environment will not only deprive oneself of a large part of one's hiking experience, but can also prevent one from hearing auditory danger signs in one's environment.

-Nate the Trail Zombie
Newberg, OR