[pct-l] Time line......

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Jul 23 09:11:27 CDT 2011

Good morning, 'MOM,

This probably won’t answer your question, but again, rules don’t
exist.  However,
if someone wants an absolute statement here it is:  Based upon the power
invested in me by no-one in particular, I hereby decree and proclaim that a
“thru-hike” is the completion of all 2,663 miles of the PCT within one
calendar year.  That’s my opinion, and it’s worth exactly what you paid for
it.

It seems many hikers get wrapped around their own axles worrying about
having failed if they don’t perform up to the “standard” thru-hike; and some
even say that if they can’t do so they won’t even begin.  They are welcome
to their opinion, but I believe some – any – hiking is better than none, and
any day on the trail is better than any day in an office or at a production
line.  Does anyone teach their kids that if they can’t be guaranteed to win
it’s not even worth trying?

I know people who thump their chest at having thru-hiked the PCT but freely
admit they took a road-walk along the Angeles Crest Highway and through the
tunnels to avoid that pain-in-the-ass hike up and across the skirts of Mount
Williamson. They also may admit they hiked about 17 miles of road to -- and
north of -- Carson, Washington to rejoin the PCT near Stabler.  They, as do
almost all hikers, probably took the alternate trails up to the rim of
Crater Lake and – later -- down Eagle Creek, neither of which is “official”
PCT.  Are they really thru-hikers?  You decide.

What is the “official” PCT?  It is whatever is sign-marked on the ground at
that instant, including detours and re-routes along a road to avoid trail
closures. The traditional routes at those points are no longer “official”
PCT.

I'm not a thru-hiker. In 1965 my objective was to hike the entirety of the
Oregon Skyline Trail (OST), but before that was accomplished the objective
was expanded in 1968 when OST was absorbed into what officially became the
Pacific Crest Trail.  Being then employed full-time to provide for a growing
family I had no aspiration to achieve that objective in any defined
time-frame or in any particular sequence. I merely wanted to see it all; and
as of 2010 I did, having completed the last section.

After I retired in ’07 I made a serious attempt at a thru-hike but
unfortunately it wasn’t to be: After only 1,219.4 miles I suffered a stress
fracture in my foot and had to leave the trail.  I was mightily disappointed
at having been fed that excrement sandwich, but I did have a wonderful trip
and managed to book a significant chunk of “new” miles toward my goal.

Steel-Eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

-http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09