[pct-l] classic snow bridge

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Jul 13 11:15:11 CDT 2011

In case anyone doesn't know what a "snow bridge" is and how great they are when it comes to getting across a dangerous creek, we have a shot of a "classic" one taken just a week or so ago on July 1st at 7,000 feet (west aspect in trees: Bear Lake Creek, north of Miller Creek, north of Desolation Wilderness).

The key to safely using these for creek crossing is to visually inspect its thickness from downstream prior to crossing. If you are snow-hiking over firm, consolidated, spring snow, we have found that for the average hiker a thickness of 3 feet is sufficient to hold your weight. If there is any question, test ahead with your poles, check the edges for their thickness taper, then, if you feel confident about it, vault across the center, most likely thinnest section, on your two poles. Beware of tree branches or logs within the bridge as they create their own hollows or voids that will make the snow over them thinner.

In regard to snow bridges, we have been asked to comment on the woman who fell through one down in SeKi earlier this spring. Evidently, and we don't have all the reports, she was a very experienced "mountaineer" who should have known better. Speaking from the standpoint of someone similar, it is very easy to become distracted or hurried when in the company of others, so perhaps she didn't exercise all her attention or wisdom in the evaluation of the bridge before she crossed it and fell through. Does anyone know if she was alone? Clearly, the reports say that there were others in the area who helped rescue her from the waters downstream. Were they part of her party?

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150