[pct-l] JMT/Sierra Conditions? + Bear Ideas

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 00:59:43 CDT 2011

Yes Shroomer

There are many tools to frighten bears:

The bear bell ( small type, widely used in Japan ) ---- It is noisy. I
hate a bell and run away. I think bear also hate and run away.

Whistle ( some one likes in Japan) ---- I have a whistle ( at a chest
strap ). , It is very noisy. I hate whistle, bear also hate too.

Horn --- horrible impression. --- I and bear run away instantly.

Please treat wild animals more tenderly.

2011/7/13 Scott Williams <baidarker at gmail.com>:
> I'm in Alaska right now and have run into several Native American guides at
> a cultural site who carry air horns to scare away the brown bears.  They say
> they work.  I may buy a cheap boat horn for our hike on the Exit Glacier
> tomorrow.  It's got to be more effective than bear bells.
> I was eye to eye with a lynx 3 days ago, and the magnificent animal just
                                      ? ( I can't understand )
> stood there 10 feet away staring us down and let me get some great pix.

You are very lucky.  I have never met with bear such a close distance.

--
Sincerely
Hiro    ( Yoshihiro Murakami  村上宣寛 )