[pct-l] JMT/Sierra Conditions? + Bear Ideas

Yoshihiro Murakami completewalker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 18:33:53 CDT 2011

Dear Brock

I will visit JMT as the third times, and I will guide my wife to VVR
to Lone Pine. The snow pack melting rapidly. I think it remains at
most a few miles patch of snow in August. My wife will be terrified
very much, when faced with steep cliff covered with snow. So we will
carry aluminum crampons. If you are afraid of snow, it might be better
to carry Microspikes. But the snow pack will disappear, I think it
will be useless, except a few miles. Donahue pass (
http://bit.ly/oAcOdb  )

Steel-Eye already wrote the bear problems. Bears is wise, has various
bearsnality, knows humans are bad and trouble making animal. Generally
speaking, they never approach to humans, except a few bears who know
the taste of human foods. So, the bear canister is needed.  I used the
mos balls technique last summer. I don't know it works, since the
density of the bear is very low. ( it is very dense in Japanese
mountains). I think it has some effect to marmot or some creatures.
So, I  will use this technique once more.

I have a GPS, but it  is not needed in summer JMT,  the compass and
maps( http://bit.ly/qAJIbF ) are enough. No large creature. Full of
flowers.

--
Sincerely