[pct-l] JMT/Sierra Conditions? + Bear Ideas

Brock Dallman brock.dallman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 15:57:04 CDT 2011

Good morning!  I'm planning a hike from Walker Pass to (at least) the
Columbia Gorge, and i have delayed my plans due to the heavy snow-pack this
year.  The JMT and High Sierras are to be the focal point of my trip, and I
plan on taking my time going through them.  Obviously I am expecting snow
and ice through the high passes and parts of the trail, but I want don't
want to deal with the "hundreds of miles of continuous snow" at the lower
elevations.  I have never been in that area and am wondering what the
current conditions are, how fast they are changing, and when the "A GPS IS
MANDATORY" status of these sections will cease to be, as I will not be
buying one.  (I've got the Wilderness Press guides for all the sections and
a compass.)  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    Also, a friend of mine gave me some great advise on bear deterrent that
I have never heard anywhere else despite its simplicity.  AIR HORNS!
 Instead of bear mace which is basically a last resort method with
questionable effectiveness, hows about something more pro active?  Say it's
the dead of night and you hear some large creature rustling around your
site.  Just cover your ears and give the ol' air horn a lengthy blast!  Plus
you could use it on the trail even at a distance if you spot a bear that's
getting too close for comfort.  Probably not the best thing to use in an
avalanche area but with discretion, I think it would be an effective tool,
when combined with bear cannisters/ bear bagging of course.  Anyhow,  happy
trails, and a safe Summer!

Brock