[pct-l] Castle Crags north starting 23-25 July?

Joe Waters joewwaters at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 10 22:55:51 CDT 2011

I have been planning to start north from Castle Crags on 23 or 25 July.
Does anyone have any feeling for whether the trail through to Ashland will
be clear, or mostly clear  of snow by then?  Also, anyone else starting
north from Crystal Crags around then?  I plan taking Amtrak from Los Angeles
(near where I live) to Dunsmuir.

My plans are to continue on to Cascade Locks.  I am an experienced and
reasonably strong backpacker, and hope/need to average 20 miles per day
between Crystal Crags and Cascade Locks (I did Tuolumne to Crystal Crags
averaging that last summer).  Is this realistic given the conditions this
year?  Also, are mosquitoes likely to be horrendous?   Any info that anyone
can provide now, and during the next couple of weeks, will be greatly
appreciated.

-          Blue Feather