[pct-l] late start with a flip-flop?

Ben Crowell pctcrowell11 at lightandmatter.com
Sun Jan 30 22:58:46 CST 2011

Hi, all. First time posting on this list.

My work situation is that I can predict with absolute certainty that
I can take off on May 25, 2015 for 6 months. Go ahead and ridicule
me (my wife already has :-) for starting to plan this so far in advance.

Obviously the May 25 date is late for someone wanting to hike the
PCT in one season. But what I'm imagining is that I'd start at Cabazon,
hike to Canada, then fly home to LA, eat a few million calories, and
end up by hiking from Campo to Cabazon in October. Having talked to
some PCT-ers who loathed the initial section of the PCT, I can see that
a natural plan B is to simply not do the Campo-Cabazon segment. But
assuming that I do want to do it, does this plan make sense? One thing
I'm wondering about is availability of water in the desert in October.
Does it just get drier and drier in the fall until finally it becomes
impossible to get through without dying of thirst?