[pct-l] worst case scenario

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jan 31 16:20:00 CST 2011

I think it might depend on what 2-3 months you are able to do. If you
have to do late spring, you should do stuff in the southern part of
the trail. If you have mid-summer, then you might want to avoid the
southern part of the trail.

If it was me, I would probably try to choose among these three:

1. Do the section that is the most different from anything you are
used to. For me that section turned out to be Washington. I have been
the the Sierra a million times. Washington absolutely blew me away.
For you, it may be the desert is the most unusual. I was totally at
home there, almost ho-hum.

2. Start at the beginning and go as far as possible. This sets you up
to be a serial section hiker. Maybe you'll have another chance for a
hike and can pick up where you left off. You'll keep the trail "in
order" and it'll all go back together in your mind like a single
unit. I did this.

3. Choose some of the best highlights and do several pieces of the
trail. This would be my least favorite option, but I did meet a guy
in Washington who was doing only the best sections of Washington so
he could get the highlights and skip the lowlights.

Good luck! You can go pretty far in 3 months. Halfway, actually.