[pct-l] ice axe

Jason Moores jmmoores1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 13:49:30 CST 2011

Normally I trend towards ultra-light equipment/hiking but when it comes to
an ice axe I carry a 75cm. What I've found is that I use the axe more for
stability than for self arrest concerns. An ice axe left on your pack is
just dead weight. If I'm going to have one in my hand, instead of a trekking
pole, I want something that is going to be useful. While trudging uphill
through the snow I am able to plant the axe in front of me and use it as
leverage, downhill it provides a better bite than my trekking pole. Normally
I only carry one trekking pole but if I'm to spend long hours on the snow I
want a second point of contact. When I consider the weight of a second
trekking pole along with the weight of say a 55cm ice axe, the near
uselessness of a short axe from preventing a fall in the first place and the
overall usefulness of a longer axe, it becomes an easy decision for me. Of
course, I would prefer to leave the axe in my closet next to a dusty bear
canister, but if I need the tool to provide for a safer hike...I'll carry
it. What's the point of reducing my pack weight to sub-eight pounds if I
can't add a little extra safety gear without suffering unduly.

Jackass