[pct-l] SOCKS

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 19:23:51 CST 2011

Hello,

I carry two pairs of the "Darn Tough" series "Merino Wool No-Show Cushion -
1416" (these get flip-flopped throughout the day)

http://www.darntough.com/run-bike-1416.html

They have this magical ability to be wet and your feet still feel warm.

I also carry one pair of "SealSkinz" series "Kneehigh w/Cuff"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XJ966W/

I carry those not so much to keep water out, because any creek crossing
where the water is higher than the sock and they just don't work (Duh) but
because they perform very well at keeping feet warm in cold situations, and
they do work well if I have to cross a whole bunch of very shallow creeks
throughout an hour or two period. I use to just carry three pair of the Darn
Tough but here recently have discovered that having at least one pair of
these along are soooo worth the extra ounce (my baseweight is sub-8 pounds)

Lastly primarily for sleeping, and/or on really really cold days (snow), I
have one pair of:

PossumDown Extreme Adventure (40% Possum fur, 50% New Zealand Merino wool,
10% Nylon)

http://www.possumdown.co.nz/ProductDetails/Knitwear_Accessories/Possum_Extreme_Adventure_sock

Honestly, there is nothing like having some possum fur and Merino wool on
your feet after pounding the miles. If you get cold feet at night (I do)
some of these are a gift from heaven.

For shoes, I use "Brooks Cascaida 5" and now that they have been replaced
with the "Brooks Cascaida 6" I will either upgrade or just fully switch over
to the "INOV8 X-talon 212" shoes - which are 7.5 oz (the Brooks Cascaida 6
are 12.2 oz)

John
(Redwood Guy)