[pct-l] ice axe length

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Sat Jan 29 16:45:49 CST 2011

Steel-Eye brought up a point that I had forgotten, using an axe for chopping
foot-holds in ice.

For balance reasons, you do not want to bend over on a steep slope to chop
buckets in the ice for each footstep. I had this scary revelation while
crossing Forester's Chute last season on 6" of ice. I happened to have a 36"
axe and was able to maintain my balance, pack-on, with only a helluva lot of
attention paid to my balance as I hung out there chopping something like 45
steps in an hour and a half to get across that thing. If I had been using
one of our short axes, my safety would have been compromised doing that with
my pack on, so I would have had to remove the pack, chop the steps, return
for the pack, and cross for the third time.

Yes, you can self-arrest with practically anything that will penetrate the
snow/ice enough to stop your slide, but it is all about the conditions
present which you have to deal with. In essence, go out and find out for
yourself what it takes to self-arrest on ice, snow, and the crud in-between,
then go buy the device of your choice.

This is one of the main skills Mountain Education teaches thru hikers during
the winter prior to their hikes. Step-One is to avoid the fall while
Step-Two is to know how to stop it before you get hurt or worse by the tree
or rock at the end. Step-Two is easy to teach and practice. Step-One
involves foresight, caution, and wisdom which only come with experience and
take time to instill. Thru hikers tend to not want to slow down and be
careful when the going gets dangerous and so they get hurt. Again, it is all
about the conditions present, in the snow, in you, in your group.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd