[pct-l] ice axe length

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Sat Jan 29 16:31:13 CST 2011

With the adz at shoulder level and the shaft running diagonally across your
stomach to your opposite anterior pelvic edge (I've forgotten what it's
actually called), do you have enough shaft length to hold onto the shaft at
that pelvic location to perform a self-arrest? Short axes are lighter, but
useless for self-belay up or self-arrest down the pass. Will you be using
the axe as a walking stick or pack prop?

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd