[pct-l] snowpack

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jan 26 17:35:12 CST 2011

As a life-long Santa Barbarian, it appears to me that this is going
to be one of those dry years. All the native vegetation has awakened.
Spring has sprung. Hiking in the local hills the ceanothus is
overwhelming sometimes. Their petals accumulate on the ground like
snow. It's been warm and hot almost every day this month. With all
the spring growth, you are right that forest fires will probably be a
bigger threat this year.

I'm betting we get a really nice February (I can remember so many
February birthdays where it was 85 degrees.) Fog will probably roll
in to Santa Barbara in April this year, meaning that the interior
deserts are gonna be hot (and Santa Barbara will suck until next
November when the fog finally goes away.)

Anyway, my money is on an average/low snow year for the Sierras.

Diane