[pct-l] PCT Bear Canister Loan Program - Request for Donations

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 19:59:24 CST 2011

At AZDPCTKO every year they have the "bear ranger" from Yosemite give a
talk.  I highly recommend it if you are ever there.

Anyway, she has stated that they gave up relocating bears because they found
that it just didn't work.  The bears would either come back to their
original locations - doing amazing journeys, or would become problem bears
were they were relocated.  Also they found dropping a bear into another
bears territory would upset all the bears in that area and some would end up
dead.  That is why they try to get the message out that a "fed bear is a
dead bear".

 It takes a while for folks to understand that you are carrying a bear
canister to  protect the bear not to protect your food.  This really is a
mindset change from how we were originally taught about keeping bears away
from your food.  Years ago, bear bagging was alway about protecting your
food from the bear.  Now its to protect the bear from your food.   When you
think of it this way the weight of a canister really becomes a non-issue.
I'm carry a canister for the health and well being of the bears.

Day-Late