[pct-l] PCT Bear Canister Loan Program - Request for Donations

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Fri Jan 21 13:56:19 CST 2011

from Gerry:
> Why not sobo?

Numerous reasons...

The vast majority of PCT thrus go nobo, not sobo (and since it is currently illegal to
enter the US from Canada on the PCT, the small number of sobos may even diminish)...

The loan program is not a 'rental agency' - we operate on a $0 budget, the canisters
being donated by the generosity of vendors and members the PCT 'community' - no money
changes hands (donations are purchased outside of the program and sent directly to the
inventory location)...

We are not set up to ship out canisters anywhere on the trail - borrowers must pick them
up in person (same as the government agencies, BTW, that have rentals 'near' the PCT) -
and with a $0 budget there's no money to ship canisters out...

Also, the time when canisters would have to be shipped out for sobos from the inventory
location at Hiker Heaven is their 'time out' and vacation break (well earned & deserved!)
between typical nobo & sobo thru schedules...

That is more than enough reasons for "Why not sobo?" as far as I'm concerned...   ;-)

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)