[pct-l] Question about maps

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 10:54:40 CST 2011

You can check out the pro's and con's of all the major map choices here:
http://planyourhike.com/maps/

I like the Half Mile Maps or the PCT Pocket Maps by Postholer.  Both are
awesome.  I'd go with the Pocket Maps if you are going to buy.

If you've never done a thru hike, the PCT would probably be a better start
than the CDT.  I wouldn't recommend the CDT unless you are very independent
and confident in your off-trail back-country navigational skills.  The PCT
gives you the choice of being a social hiker or a loner.  On the CDT, you're
pretty much stuck being a loner no matter what.  I think having options are
a good thing for a first thru-hike.  But to each their own!

Good luck!

--
Austin Williams

www.PlanYourHike.com
Info on PCT gear, resupply points, maps, movies, etc.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
-John Wayne