[pct-l] On-trail shopping

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Jan 20 16:36:39 CST 2011

The hike to VVR kind of sucks but it's not really all that bad. It
only takes a few hours. It's not well-marked at the end, though, but
I found my way and even found a shortcut.

$50-$75 won't get you very far in town if a restaurant meal is
included. It won't even get many groceries unless you are really
strict with yourself.

What I would do is pick a different place to try and be super budget-
minded in the resupply department. The High Sierra left me shrunken
and thin. I had no more womanly attributes after only half-way
through, if you know what I mean. But other parts of the trail I
sailed through quickly and was even able to put weight on. There are
other parts of the trail that are the same length but you'll be able
to do them in a fraction of the time that the High Sierra will take
you. For instance, in the High Sierra it took most of the day to hike
19 miles and I was left starving and battered, but in Northern
California I was able to hike 27-35 miles a day easily.