[pct-l] Stream crossings

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jan 18 20:26:01 CST 2011

On Jan 18, 2011, at 5:18 PM, Scott Williams wrote:

>  On one crossing Smiles and I went
> first, and about half way across, and chest deep, realized that it
> was not a
> good place for anyone, and were able to holler back for the rest to
> find a
> better place.  They backtracked and did find a better spot, but it
> was still
> hairy.

One creek crossing I came to was over chest deep. The current carried
me away as soon as I was hip deep. I ended up swimming. This creek
was not on the PCT proper. My friends and I had decided to escape the
snow in '09 and hike down the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne. This was
an absolutely stunning alternate route, but Piute Creek, on our way
back to rejoin the PCT, was over my head. Placid, though, hence the
swimming. Bear canisters make good floatation devices. I swam with my
pack on. It floated me very well. I laid on my back and paddled across.

Back on the PCT itself, Stubblefield creek was also a swim for me and
Falls Creek was a long 2 miles of off-trail travel until we could
find a safe place to cross above the outflow of Tilden Lake. They
should just put the trail on that side.

It took a really long time for my Data Book to dry out. Thank
goodness I kept a journal on paper and pencil. It survived, too. I
forgot about my journal and guide books when I stepped into these
creeks. Everything else got secured inside my pack, but these I
forgot and they were fully submerged. Twice.

I was so grateful to get out of the Sierra. I know most people really
like it, but the excitement level was just too much for me. I prefer
the quiet, contemplative walking in Northern California, Oregon and
Washington.