[pct-l] Stream crossings

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 19:18:12 CST 2011

I face the opposite bank and use 2 poles, and lean upstream.  Para chord is
not very strong, and abrades easily.  I've had it shred in just hoisting up
food bags, and wouldn't even consider it for streams.

One technique our group used was for one or two people to cross first, and
then begin a human chain back into the stream, one person holding onto a
tree, to offer a hand to the next person, so as to at least shorten the
distance the lighter folks had to travel.  Heavier people are at an
advantage in streams as the amount of surface area presented to the flow of
water is not much more than the smaller folks, but the extra weight helps
anchor them a bit more solidly.  Of course, the persons ability to balance
is probably paramount, no matter what size they are.

In my opinion, the streams were the most potentially dangerous part of the
PCT.  Choose your crossing carefully.  On one crossing Smiles and I went
first, and about half way across, and chest deep, realized that it was not a
good place for anyone, and were able to holler back for the rest to find a
better place.  They backtracked and did find a better spot, but it was still
hairy.

Shroomer