[pct-l] Thru hiking couples

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Tue Jan 18 10:02:35 CST 2011

Jackass wrote:

>it's a whole different challenge hiking as a team. Your highs and lows rarely seem to match up. I'm ready to do a thirty to get into
>town for some hot food, her feet hurt. She doesn't want to take a zero, I'm wiped and feel I need some down time. I'm at my peak,
>she has crypto. She's at her peak and I can't seem to eat enough to keep my energy and mood up.

Jackass raises some thoughtful issues about hiking as a couple

There is an old Italian proverb:

C h i   h a   c o m p a g n o   h a   p a d r o n e
H e   w h o   h a s   a   p a r t n e r   h a s   a   m a s t e r

When you hike as a couple it doubles the number of things that can slow you down, things that can break, feet that can get sore. That said, having a partner may also force you to get your tired ashes moving. It will also comfort you on rough days and if you have the right partner might get you a back rub or your feet massaged. It would probably be a good idea for couples to talk through how they will deal with issues like the ones that Jackass talks about.

Not saying hiking as a couple is a bad thing, just something to keep in mind. As far as I can tell, it is generally frowned upon to leave your spouse/SO lying by the side of the trail and hiking on, although I wouldn't bet that it hasn't been done.

Jackass - nice meeting last year at Mount Laguna. Have a great hike this year. If the right numbers come up on the lottery or if I get laid off, Piper and I will be out there too. So hope for the best or even the worst and things will be good.

TrailHacker

"When my feet hurt, I can't think straight"
Abraham Lincoln