[pct-l] cowboy camping to Kennedy Meadows

Palomino palomino.pct at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 17:21:57 CST 2011

I cowboy camped all but a few nights from Campo to Kennedy Meadows in 2001.
I learned quickly that you can't throw down in a big pile of inquisitive So
Cal ants and expect to get much sleep. But no other critters ever bothered
me.

As others have said, it's warmer away from water and there's less
condensation under some vegetation.

I should emphasize that I always had a shelter with me in case things got
rough. I left April 16. There was a big single day snowstorm event  in the
Lagunas that year, which is not uncommon. I would not want to wait
out something like that in just a bivy sack. I doubt I would die. But life
would really suck for a little while.

You could always carry a light tent or a tarp and netting combo and
experiment with sleeping out to see if it suits you or not. Within the
bounds of common sense and safety, do what makes you happy. IMHO, there's no
one right way to hike the trail except the one that's right for you.

Palomino