[pct-l] Smart phones

Gerry Zamora gerry0625 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 13:29:21 CST 2011

I have seen alot of talk of pocket mail which is no longer from what I
understand and a spot device which requires a subscription plus the device
but most of us already have cell phones I am using my Droid X and the
service is already paid for so why not use them on the trail im going to use
mine to navigate and will carry a map and compass just in case it should
have a gps signal anywhere your spot would plus it has a nice cam and video
cam I can send and receive text and emails for about 70% of the trail.  And
u can charge your batteries via solar power.  Am I the only 1 doing this or
has everyone else came to a similar conclusion?  I found some nice hand held
gps units but nothing my phone can't do.
Gerry0625