[pct-l] Was Night lighting, Now; I don't care!

bighummel at aol.com bighummel at aol.com
Mon Jan 17 12:21:44 CST 2011

Diane,

You captured the essence of long distance hiking in this so well! I've said for years that you gear matters little; it's what is in your heart, soul and mind that get you to Canada, enjoying every step.

Soon you
don't care that your stove is made from an old can, your water bottle
brand names are for liquid long drunk not for empty containers
backpackers are supposed to have. Your maps were downloaded for free.
You have a sixth sense about the trail and can find your way pretty
well and don't need the GPS anymore except for its entertainment
value. The tent you have, the sleeping bag, you barely notice which
brand you bought and you couldn't care less what brand your friends
have. Ahh, the freedom of the trail, the freedom to just BE and not
to HAVE.

Greg Hummel

Do you know why I'm always whistling? It's simply because, as you know, whistle blowers are protected by law!