[pct-l] Warner Springs Resort

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Jan 17 08:47:05 CST 2011

Shroomer writes: Yes they have wpened it up, but you have to walk through private land to get there. His actual grave is public, and part of the park although it is seperate from the bulk of the properties.   I'll be hiking a section of Mt Wanda this Thursday right across from it, and will be paying my respects then.  I'll print out some up to date directions after that hike.

We've done a lot toward preserving what parts of his old ranch are still open space, and you can now hike for miles in several directions from the Muir house.  You can even pick fruit in some of his old orchards here in the Alhambra Valley at several locations.
Switchback replies: That is great.  I had lunch last month with Glen Dawson.  He was born in 1912.  He knew William Coby the secretary to John Muir when he was first president of the Sierra Club.  I hope the private land is bought someday to make the walk to his grave site all public land.  I am not sure of what the connection between Clinton C. Clark and the PCT and the early Sierra Club is.  But I would think that John Muir had an influence to motivate early PCT pioneers, who came later.

Also, I see a big profit in selling John Muir fruit down at the April Kickoff.  I think you should have a stand there.  It fits right in with the Kickoff philosophy.  The marketing ploy will be "Get Hardcore Hiker Power with Your John Muir Fruit."  You can be next to my Pirate's Lair site.  This is too cool.  I will be glad to safely store your gold doubloons at my site at no charge.  You can never be too careful with all the characters running around these days.  No thanks necessary.

Switchback the Trail Pirate