[pct-l] best places to buy your own food:

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 17 02:38:32 CST 2011

Shroomer!

I am currently working in Alta, UT with Chainsaw who stopped off to work at VVR for two months last summer(there are 4 2010 hikers working here and we've met two more in the Salt Lake area, small world).

I take your point about the cost at VVR. We pulled into Edison Lake for an unplanned zero and ended up there for 1.5. We ate every meal in the restaurant and snacked like mad out of the store. I made a mental note every time that I added something to the tab and then kept adding. The food was great, the staff a hoot and Jim a gracious host. Molasses and I even talked about filling out applications for 2011.

I'll be on a tighter budget this year and hadn't planned on going into VVR this summer, but I'm thinking of swapping a zero in Mammoth for one at VVR. In the end I would probably spend more in Mammoth and I would get more rest at VVR. (I still feel that the prices at the store were steep, regardless of the cost to transport it to the lodge. Just my opinion.)

Jackass