[pct-l] Tent Vs Tarp vs hybrid

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 13 02:20:50 CST 2011

I have a Duo and I have very few gripes about it. Really the only one is condensation. During heavy downpours in both the Sierra and NoCal. the condensation built up to the point that by two a.m. for every drop of rain that hit the tent a drop of moisture fell on the inside. After two days of this in the Sierra we were forced out of the mountains due to the fact that there was zero sunlight to dry out our sleeping bags and the temps were dropping to below 20 deg. at night. That really sucked.

In '09 we used a tarp for the first 702 miles and switched to the Duo for bug protection in the Sierra. Last year we carried the tarp for 1400 miles and added a full length, a-frame bug net(Granite Gear- 16oz). This combo stood up to rain, snow and heavy winds without a problem. When I "batten-down" the edges in a wedge pitch I stayed warmer and dryer than in a tent, and there is no comparison in ventilation. Overall, the tarp combo is more versatile and about 8oz lighter than my Duo. I do really like my Duo, Ron makes a great tarp-tent, I just prefer my tarp.

Jackass