[pct-l] Bear Cans

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Jan 12 20:58:25 CST 2011

Good evening, Mike,

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the qualified bear ‘cans.  I
bought a Garcia some years ago for what is probably not the best reason.  At
that time the tenor of the advertising campaigns was this:

Competitor A said, “We’re just as good as a Garcia.”

Competitor B said, “We’re just as good as a Garcia.”

Competitor C said, “We’re just as good as a Garcia.”

So…. I bought a Garcia.

I carry the ‘can inside my pack; upright, sitting on my ground cloth and
tarp, with the sleeping bag poked around it.  Other stuff goes on top.  The
rounded plastic where the ends meet the sides helps avoid a sharp corner
riding against my lower back.  It seems to ride OK; about the only thing I
notice is the several extra pounds.

For those among you who plan to carry the ‘can outside the pack – tied on
top, for example – here’s a caution:  When leaving the ‘can out at night
it’s important to not have it in anything a bear could grasp in its teeth:
not in a pack, not in a plastic bag, not in a carrying case, and not with
any kind of lashing or handles in place. If a bear ran off with the ‘can he
wouldn’t be able to get into it, but he may carry it a mile before he drops
it. Bear ‘cans are intentionally designed to be kind of round and smooth so
a bear can’t get a grip with his jaws. That makes the ‘can a rather
difficult shape to tie to the outside of a pack. Some manufacturers sell
fabric carrying cases that have handles that can be used as tie-downs, and
I’ve seen hikers make their own strap arrangements – even handles made of
duct tape. These things should be avoided if there is any chance a bear
could grasp them in its jaws.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=265401

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye