[pct-l] Bear Cans

Mike Jurasius debrisflowavalanche at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 13:50:48 CST 2011

While we're on the bear can discussion, I wanted to get an idea of what most found to be the best design. I purchased an aluminum 11-day can with removable ends on both sides. As Piper mentioned, these cans are awkward and uncomfortable for packing. Some cans are slightly bigger in diameter than others, etc. Then there's plastic and carbon fiber varieties.  I'm not certain how well any of these cans strap to the top of a UL pack, like the Gossamer Mariposa or Six Moon Design. Do most try to fit the can inside the pack?

Has anyone tried the Kevlar bags?  I know they're rodent, marmot proof, but not sure they could handle mauling on by a bear! Sure would be great to safe proof food in a more flexible container, that was approved by the park system.

Mike